Saturday, February 19, 2011

Journey to the Animal World!

Hello again, Reader. In this post, you are going to see our experiences during our 3rd quarter CEO (Creative Expansive Output). In this post, Kingdom Animalia would be our topic. Are you ready?


Our 3rd Quarter CEO in Science is all about animals.
I, together with my classmates, had to research and report about our individual topics.
The reporting started from the least multifaceted to the most multifaceted organisms in
the Animal Kingdom; starting from the viruses to the chordates.

For the reporting, I got Class Mammalia, one of the largest and most diverse
taxonomical levels in the whole of the Animal Kingdom with over 5,000 species
classified into 26 orders! Marvelous, isn’t it? Well, it won’t be that marvelous anymore if
you had to give a brief description in all 26 orders. I’m only joking, of course.

It’s a very challenging experience for me, though. I haven’t researched and
crammed that much for a single project in my entire life. It was fun, actually, doing this
project. You learn new things and facts that you didn’t know before about animals in
your environment. There were requirements given by T’cher Rye; you have to submit a
power-point, a handout photocopied 20 times, and a 10- item quiz made by yourself. I
made the power- point so it can aid the audience during my discussion, I also made the
hand-out so the class can read and understand my report better.

I did have problems as I prepared for my project. I had to cram and finish my
power- point in a few days. And that’s where I had to give a brief description on all the
orders. I resolved this problem by focusing and praying to God to help me finish the
power-point and I finished it just on time.

I’ve learned a couple or three things in the CEO and they are…. making a power-
point and the provisions included, like the 6x6 rule and cramming is not good for you,
emotionally and mentally. Probably, the most important thing that I’ve learned in doing
this project is that we are very rich in animal biodiversity. The people, including me,
should help conserve and preserve them so that generations in the future will be able to
enjoy the animals we get to enjoy now.
                          -Clarisse  
  
Mammals
                                             
Our 3rd Quarter CEO is all about Kingdom Animalia. Together with my groupmates, we had to make a powerpoint, a handout and a 10-item quiz. Making this project made me realize that every person has the skills to make power points. I never knew that I, myself could make this powerpoint. At first, I didn’t believe in myself that I could even get a high grade in this project. I was assigned the Phylum Chordata and as you know is a Phylum of the Kingdom Animalia. 

Phylum Chordata is actually a myriad of animals. From the lancelets to the tunicates and so on. I had to research on so much information for me to get the information I most needed. I researched on every site I could link through Google, the world’s “friend on assignments” as I must call it. 

I really had so much fun researching, typing, emailing T’cher Rye, and presenting in front of him and the class. Fun and challenging at the same time. Challenging because I had to email him often times to know if he got the requirements. For the reporting part, nerve-wracking. Nerve-wracking because I felt so nervous that T’cher Rye was there and the whole class was also there.  

I learned a lot of facts during the 3rd Quarter. I learned how to make a powerpoint, a Science handout, a 10-item quiz about Science and also to follow the 6x6 or 9x9 rule in making my powerpoint. I did have problems. I crammed a little for the quiz. I didn’t know what questions to make. I had a hard time because I had to make it very good because it was graded. But then in the end, I got a high mark for the quiz.

All I can say is that whatever you research on, do not use Wikipedia. (Joking!)
Even though I used it on my research, I still advice you not to use it. 
                                          -Alex
A tunicate
On our 3rd Quarter Science CEO, we have to make a report about our respective topic. I was assigned to report about Kingdom Fungi. Honestly, before I researched about fungi, all I know about them was that they consists of mushrooms and that they cause white stuff growing in people’s faces (an-an). I learned many interesting things about fungi like they can be both microscopic and macroscopic. The most interesting thing that I learned is that fungi are more related to animals than to plants.

In making the report, first I did a lot of research. After researching, I thought of making the power point report before the hand-outs which would have been a big mistake if it hadn’t been for my mom. She advised me that making the hand-out first will be much easier and I realized that she was right. I put together the information which I got into the hand-out.  Then, some of the information in the hand-out was transferred to the power point. I also made a quiz about Kingdom Fungi.  When the hand-out, power point and quiz were done, I e-mailed them to T. Rye. And finally, I practiced presenting my power point.  
     
A problem I encountered is that it was my first time to prepare a hand-out. I never made a hand-out in my entire life.  It is a good thing my mom helped me. She taught me how to make a good hand-out. Another problem which I encountered was following the 6x6 rule. Most of the slides in my power point were too wordy. To solve this, I cut the slides which were long into two slides.  
The most important lesson that I learned was that I should make the hand-out first before making the power point. Doing this is much easier than making the power point first. I think that this is very important because it can help me in my future reports in high school.  
                               -Miguel   


In the 3rd quarter Power Point I have discussed about Phylum Annelida. There are about 17,000 species each of which has a body made up of segments with a mouth at one end and an anus at the other. There are about 17,000 species each of which has a body made up of segments with a mouth at one end and an anus at the other. Phylum Annelida came from the French word, Anneles which means “ringed one” and came from the Latin word Annelus which means “little ring” They have three Classes; Class Polychaeta, Class Oligochaeta and Class Hirudinaea. Annelids play an important role in turning over sediment on the ocean bottom, they make soil porous, for better penetration of water and air, etc. These are just some of the fun facts I would like to share with you about my topic. I came up to this topic when T’cher Rye talked about the Animal Biodiversity and started assigning topics for our reports on the following week. The next day he brought a fishbowl with him. In that bowl there where a bunch of Phylum’s to choose from, so I took the topic of Phylum Annelida because it was my favorite. First, their body processes are interesting and structures are fascinating. Second, the process of peristalsis is compared to our esophagus. Lastly, I like the fun facts I have seen in my research.
                                 -Adi
An annelid

I'm going to talk to you about my Science CEO for the last 3rd quarter. I reported on Phylum Arthropoda. My classmates and I were each assigned a particular topic in the Kingdom Animalia. Out of the given topic, I had to make a power point, a handout and 10-item quiz for the report. The handout is the printed information taken from the power point that I need to give my classmates so that they can understand my project well. Lastly, I will prepare a quiz regarding my topic in order for me to know if my classmates learned something from my report.
                                  -Khael

Arthropods

Thanks for tuning in! Look out for more posts about Science!

                     

2 comments:

  1. HI SCIENCE ADVENTURERS! We, the Super Duper Junior Scientists thought your blog post was really interesting, pleasant and quality work!! It had tons of info we needed to study on. When your readers would see this awesome blog (for the ones who already know about the topic), they would say, "THATS SOO TRUE!!" about the information given. We suggest you emphasize on the morals &lessons, but, your ideas and words of hope inspired us already.

    SCORESS:

    CONTENT--- 9/10
    COHERENCE --- 5/5
    CREATIVITY --- 4/5
    VOICE --- 5/5
    MECHANICS --- 5/5
    TEXT LAYOUT --- 5/5
    GRAPHICS & MULTIMEDIA --- 5/5
    INTELLECTUAL HONESTY --- 5/5

    TOTAL SCORE: 43/45

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very heart-warming to read from your reflections the lessons that you learned and the importance of what you are doing.

    Alex, it was 6x6 rule, but I adjusted it to 8x8, not 9x9.

    LOL at Miguel's an-an.

    However, make sure that you maintain a consistent voice in your writing.

    Coherence or one-ness of the writing is very important. It seems that you just wrote individually then cut and pasted everything here.

    Please be attentive also with consistency in indention and paragraph alignment.

    Here is the breakdown of your score:

    8, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5

    Total: 36/45
    Comment: 10/10
    Peer: 43/45

    GRAND TOTAL: 89

    Til next time!

    ReplyDelete